Reformation Wall

Piece of history

Address

Promenade des Bastions 1, 1204 Genève

GPS

46.2007081, 6.1445561

Address

Promenade des Bastions 1, 1204 Genève

GPS

46.2007081, 6.1445561

The Reformation Wall is situated in an exceptionally beautiful park, close to the elegant Place de Neuve in Geneva. The most prominent Protestant reformers in Europe are honoured with four giant statues, a constant reminder of Geneva’s important role in religious history.

The giant wall (325 feet long, 30 feet high) dominates the large Parc des Bastions and centers on four Geneva luminaries, 15-foot-tall statues.

The Reformation Wall is located in the grounds of the University of Geneva, founded by John Calvin, and built to commemorate the 400th anniversary of Calvin’s birth and the 350th anniversary of the establishment of the university.

It is built into Geneva’s old city walls, and the location of the monument there is designed to represent the fortifications and hence the integral importance to the Reformation of the city of Genoa.

The four reformers in Geneva are flanked by smaller sculptures of prominent Protestant figures, bas-reliefs and inscriptions.

The words “Post Tenebras Lux,” at the top of the statues, are Latin for “After the darkness, light.”

It is located in the great area for walks and taking photos.

Here are some interesting facts about Reformation Wall:

  • One of the sculptors of the wall, Landowski, later designed the Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio de Janeiro.
  • The cost of wall was over CHF 720,000.
  • Discretely engraved into the wall is the only name of a female Reformer – Marie Dentière.

Geneva tours

Leave a review

Your email address will not be published.

%d bloggers like this:
Malcare WordPress Security